a blog about raising a daughter with cerebral palsy and learning unexpected lessons along the way

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Patched Princess

I sometimes refer to Oia as Miss P. It's just been one of those names that has stuck since those early infant days. Seems fitting...P stands for a number of things that Oia is to me like Perfect, Pretty, Patient, Petite, Persistent, Pistol (on occasion), and a couple others but now a new one for the list...Patched Princess!



Patching is going so well, much better than ever expected.

I'm not sure what makes me more happy...bidding farewell to those nasty Atropine drops or the simple fact that Oia has dug deep for more tolerance and she's willing now to wear the patch as needed each day. Since patching was recommended a year ago, the idea was a lead balloon, hence the alternative drops. Life with an eye patch is much more pleasant and manageable. Outside time in the sun is not so dreadful for Oia but rather enjoyable again. Having the use of just one eye, as you can image, does present some added physical challenges for her, but overall she seems unfazed by the patching. A good sign in my opinion.

Patch time immediately follows nap. The goal is two hours of wearing. I have been a bit obsessive about tracking the time Oia wears the patch and make note of time worn on my calendar. Time worn varies each day but my philosophy is that every effort and every minute counts. Basically, it comes off when she takes it off. There is no use in making this a battle or we won't get any positive from it.

Day 1 was 45 min. worn. Day 2 was 1 hr 45 min. Day 3 was 2 hr 45 min. Day 4 was just one hour but considering she exceeded the 2 hour suggested time the day before I didn't worry about it. And Day 5, yesterday, was 2 hr 30 min. As time goes on and this becomes more of our routine, I know I won't be so obsessive. But, in the name of Miss P's eyesight, obsessive is a good thing!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the nickname! It's funny how some names just stick, isn't it? Chloe has been "sugar plum" for awhile now, and I have no idea why. But it fits somehow.

    I'm so glad the patch is working well. I hope it continues to help out that cute little Miss P!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that the patching is going so well! I think it's a good thing your obsessive about it! :) The nickname is perfectly fit for her. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a big girl!

    you probably already know this, but if you put milk of magnesia on the patch they peel off and are much easier on the skin!

    also, e-mail me your address and I'll send you a box of the junior patches...the cute girly ones...we used to patch for 4 hours a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also shocked at what Charlie will tolerate--our kids are often better at handling things than we are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you stopped by to visit...and glad you linked up! I'd love for you to link again ~ but please, include a link up post that features you "just as you are"!

    It's awesome that Oia will tolerate patching. We have had the worst time with Sadie...and are using drops. We will go back again in May to review options....

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... tolerance is a good word! Good job, Oia! Can you come to our house and teach Faith that word, please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the eye patch. What memories. It does help, although there is a side effect of looking like a pirate in most pictures throughout your life (I have pictures to proove it). But it's a small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete