a blog about raising a daughter with cerebral palsy and learning unexpected lessons along the way

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Preschool: Part 1

This little baby of ours is just three months shy of her 3rd birthday. At that time, our life as we know will change quite drastically, yet again. We have benefited from Early Intervention Services since Oia was just 7 months old. Essentially, it is all we know. To say that it has saved our life isn't far from the truth. EI has provided us with dedicated therapists who have driven to our home without complaint multiple times per week to assist in Oia's overall development by practicing meaningful therapy and to offer endless amounts of encouragement, information, and support as we trudge along on this very emotional journey in the special needs world. There is no doubt that without it, Oia would not be where she is today, nor would I.

All of this support is abruptly over the minute Oia turns 3. No more home therapies. No more Service Coordinator; our go-to gal. Game over. Apparently by the time a child turns 3, they are to be 'normal' and begin living as such. I realize the service is a privilege and at some point there will always be change but at times I feel like we've only just begun.

So, what do we do now? The next logical step; and the best one in our opinions, is to enroll Oia in a special education preschool program. EI has begun that transition and referral process for us so I know one little girl who will be venturing into a new world very soon.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan! What an exciting adventure for all of you! Although it does seem a little early to me, too...at 3 years old to begin living "normally". It's a shame that the home therapies only last that long. If my thoughts count as anything, I think it will be a great thing for Oia! Scary as a mom, but a whole new world for Oia, and I think she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo, Gracie is now 8 years old, but I remember making that choice to send her to school. It was very difficult, but good for her.

    Good luck with making that choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reasons for a change of service at age 3 are multiple and have zero implication that the child is 'normal'. Support while transitioning to preschool is mandated as well. In the time you have been provided services in your home you have been shown how to case manage your child yourself. Your EI staff believe in the system and that is how the system works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 'normal' comment may have seemed somewhat harsh and harsh is not my intent. With that said, I do understand and completely respect the EI philosophy but I also have some conflicting views with some of it's finer details, which I'd rather not go into as they are irrelevent in the whole scheme of things. Overall, our family appreciates EI more than we could ever communicate and that's the message I want to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is 3.5 (sp quad cp) and has been receiving services in our home through the school system after he aged out of EI. You may still be able to get services at home so don't dismay quite yet. And you will get another go-to person. It is tough "training" these new folks about your child but, in the end, you should still get great resources for your daughter.

    Actually, I have found that the therapists through the school system are superior to those my son had in EI. Hopefully, that will also be the case in your area.

    Change is always hard. But it could be a great thing for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey mo, mo here...finally caught up on my blog and my comments post baby and saw you stopped by to say hi. excited to be bloggofriends! oia look like a fun little chica.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember feeling sad and at a loss last year when my daughter aged out of Early Intervention. Luckily she is getting great (and I feel more!) treatment through the school system now. Push for what you need---you're her best advocate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mo, I know how frustrating that is. In SC you can push sometimes and get continued service coordination up to age six. I will say in response to some people's comments that there is really no amount of "training" to prepare you for all the unexpecteds that come with our babes. And three years? Shoot, you are just getting your feet underneath! I think it is a travesty, really! We got continued E.I. services thru until Jan 5, this year, just before Faith turned six. I know that MONEY is really the heart of this issue...say what they want, but it is. Families in these circumstances need beyond three years for those services! Now, at six Faith is in just Service Coordination level one which means No contact with us unless we initiate it and need something. Period. That is just ridiculous! For a kid who is dev. around 2 or 3? Like I said...Money...not preparation or education is the root word here.
    Ok, gettin' off my soapbox, now! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right there with ya! Here's to the next step!

    ReplyDelete